Saturday, July 21, 2007

Have I ever mentioned my complete & utter hatred of humidity?

I had a totally CRAPPY run today. The worst! The humidity was unbearable for me (93% at the start, with a "real feel" temp of 90 degrees, according to accuweather.com, which increased as the day went on). I have never sweated so much in my life. By the time I was done, my clothes were dripping wet. My shorts were stuck to my legs. NOT a comfortable feeling at all, especially when you're trying to run.

Our route was the same as last week (down to Sabine & back, stopping along the way to do hills & the parking garage), only we went out of the park long, making the total run 11 miles. I was doing ok for the 1st half of the run, but by the time I got back to the water stop @ Memorial & Waugh, my energy was quickly dwindling. I was SO overheated. I had my fuel belt & kept pouring the cold water over my head & neck during the entire run, trying to try to cool myself down, but it just wasn't working. I was also drinking a lot but I just couldn't seem to stay hydrated enough. I toughed it out & made it to the parking garage & did 2 runs there, which wasn't that bad at all, but once I got back on Memorial & was almost back to the park, I started feeling very light-headed & dizzy. When I got to the entrance to the park at Memorial & Crestwood, I felt like I was going to pass out so I completely stopped running. I thought I was going to just burp, but it turned out I needed to puke instead (just a teeny bit, but still... ew). I stopped my stopwatch & very sloooowwwwly walked the 1/2 mile back to the picnic table. As soon as I got there, I grabbed a pack of peanut butter crackers & wolfed them down, followed by a sweet & salty granola bar. I was STARVING! Having the food in me made me feel a little better.

I drove straight home & immediately took a LONG ice bath. I fell asleep right there in the tub & woke up freezing my ass off. I ate a big bowl of cereal & then tried to nap but I was too tired (don't you hate that?) so I ended up just laying there on the couch for 2 hours. By then I was feeling somewhat human again.

I don't know what the hell I'm going to do if/when the sun ever decideds to shine during my long runs. If I'm already getting this overheated on cloudy days w/ no sun, what's going to happen to me when the sun is beating down on me? I'm a bit worried, especially since all my runs from now on will be in double digits. I have to figure out some way to keep myself cooler. Any suggestions?

1 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really rough run. You should pick up this month's Runners World as there is a whole article about ways to keep cool in very hot temps. There are some good ideas like putting ice cubes on top of a sponge and then putting that inside your hat so that as the ice slowly melts it drips down your neck. Good thing San Diego in October will most liekly be very low humidity and fairly cool.
Ilana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home