Saturday, July 14, 2007

Ups, downs, & lots of hills

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Life's been a bit crazy these days. Training is going ok. Still having a lot of ups & downs. My short runs have been great, averaging a pace of about 14:20 per mile, which makes me VERY happy. However, my last 2 long runs sucked. Last week was 10 miles. I made the mistake of not eating anything before the run (I wasn't feeling too good & the idea of eating anything made me want to puke). By the time I got to the park I was starving. Thankfully one of the mentors had some bananas so I grabbed a quick piece (barely 1/2 a banana) right before I started. I was doing pretty good for the 1st 8 miles, keeping up my power walk, going at a good, constant pace (about 15:00-15:15 per mile) Then I hit the wall. The sun started to come out & I felt the energy completely drain from my body. I strolled almost all of the last 2 miles. Once I got back to the park, I forced myself to race walk again. I felt so nauseous when I finished. I didn't feel human again until after I had a big breakfast.

Today was supposed to be 8 miles, but we also did LOTS of hills, so the total mileage ended up being a little more than 9. Thankfully there was no sun today, but good GAWD was it ever humid. The only breeze came from the cars driving by. Ugh! I felt like I was running in quicksand the entire time. I just couldn't seem to find my stride. My time was HORRIBLE! My pace was about 17 minutes per mile. *pukes* That is unacceptable!! I did better the week before when I was going on a practically empty stomach. I'm so mad at myself. Next week HAS to be better.

I worry that I won't be able to improve enough to do the full marathon. I don't want to go all the way to San Francisco & NOT do all 26.2 miles, but right now I worry that even with an early start, I won't make the time cut-off. I really need to step it up in my training & lose more weight. So far I've lost about 10 lbs. & about an inch from my waist & from my chest (I haven't measured any other parts). But it's just not good enough.

I hate it when I get down like this. But maybe it'll be the kick in the pants I need. We'll see.

2 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Erin. Really enjoying reading your blog. Always great reading what other runners are learning and trying. I'm a long-time runner who is always challenged with managing my weight. Good luck with your training for San Francisco. Be confident. The whole marathon experience will be worthwhile. A few posts on our blog site might encourage you. Keep up the good running and posting.

Tom

http://blog.runnerslounge.com

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

Hang in there! You got the 10 done and in this heat and humidity, that's no easy task! Keep it up and you will be speeding along in October!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home