Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Back on track

or "What a difference 50% makes!"

Tonight's run was, in a word: FANTASTIC!

I am still in disbelief at how great this run was. I went into it sort of dreading it because it was going to be one of the toughest speed workouts we've done so far. Here's the workout:

Memorial Park
  • 1/2 mile warm-up from the picnic table by the pool to the track near the tennis center.
  • 5 ea. 1/2 mile sprints on the track.
  • 2.5 mile cool down back to the picnic table (long way in)
Temperature: 88 degrees
Humidity: 42% (Can you believe that??? Three days ago the humidity was 93%. Tonight was HEAVEN!!)

I took my time getting to the track. Last time I'd gone out too fast & petered out way too quickly during the sprints. I wasn't about to make the same mistake twice. I strolled in at just under 9 minutes, then immediately started my sprints as soon as I stepped on the track. Here are my times:

#1 - 7:05:70 (All right! Very nice!)
#2 - 7:06:50 (Very good! Less than a second slower.)
#3 - 7:09:41 (Uh-oh. That should be better.)
#4 - 7:05:65 (Now that's more like it! Wait... it's actually FASTER than the 1st one. Sweet!)
#5 - 7:04:50 (AW YEAH!! Way to go! I never would've imagined my last sprint would've been the fastest!)

Total mileage: 2.5 miles
Total time: 35:29:76
Avg. pace per mile: 14:11 (Very nice indeed! Fastest 1/2 mile sprints yet! I was VERY pleased!)

I only rested for about a minute before I started the 2.5 mile cool down run. I felt fantastic. My muscles were loose, my breathing was steady, & my energy was high. I started out at what I felt was a much slower pace than my sprints. I kept the pace the entire time, never slowing down except to quickly remove a pebble from my shoe. By the time I was almost done, I thought it felt like I was going a bit faster. I still felt fantastic, my breathing was still slow & steady, & my energy was still sky high. I kept telling myself how great it would be if I could finish in 38 minutes, which would be a pace of about 15:00 per mile. I felt confident I could do it, but I refused to look at my watch until I was done, lest I be disappointed. Imagine my shock when I saw my final time:

34:41

I almost fell over from the shock! That calculates to a pace per mile of 13:52! AFTER doing sprints!! Color me ecstatic!

Now if only I can repeat this kind of run on Saturday when we do 12 miles. Hey, it could happen. :)

1 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

Great run! Gotta love that little break from the humidity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home