Monday, August 14, 2006

Rehab: Day 1

Today was my first appointment with the chriropracter. She was very nice & understanding & explained everything to me in detail as she went along. After a bad experience with a chiropracter about 15 years ago, I'd been scared of going back to one, but she made me feel very comfortable.

The first thing she did, after getting a very detailed history, was test me for mobility, which of course, I don't have a lot of. Then I got about 20 minutes of electric massage which felt fabulous. (I could've gone the whole day with those electrodes hooked up to my back.) Afterwards she gave my upper spine an adjustment & stretched my lower spine as best she could without causing pain. She then showed me some stretches to do every day for the next 6 weeks.

I was also instructed to not work for at least a week. Ummmm... yeah. That's probably not going to work out very well. I told her I'd stay home for the next 3 days & if I feel better by Thursday, I'll go to work. I have a feeling I'll only end up working that one day. Unfortunately for the injury I have, sitting at a desk all day is NOT a good thing & will make it harder for me to heal. I just need to make sure that I stand up & walk around at least every 15 minutes or else the pressure on my spine will take its toll.

Oh yeah... one more rule: no more running. "Running is your enemy."

I knew she was going to say that, but still, to actually hear it was not fun. Unfortunately she's right. Running is my enemy as far as my spine is concerned. If I want to be able to continue to move, I need to stop. However, she didn't say anything about walking. In fact, part of my rehab will include walking. Although for now it will be limited to walking in a pool. I was told to walk backwards & side to side in a pool 3 times a week for about 15-20 minutes each time, then work myself up to 6 times a week & an houreach time.

Right now I just wish I could walk to the corner & back in less than 20 minutes & take steps longer than a few inches.

Back injuries suck.

1 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good report. Very positive. The pool walking will be good. Keep us up to date.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home