Saturday, August 12, 2006

MRI results:

There is mild superior endplate deformity at L2 and L3 vertebra without evidence of retropulsion or associated soft tissue paraspinal masses. The alignment is well maintained. There is evidence of disc desiccation at multiple levels particularly at L2-3 and L3-4 and to a lesser extent to L4-5.

L2-3: there is broad-based disc bulging with a small left paracentral disc protrusion causing mild ventral indentation to the thecal sac and compressing the thecal sac and associated facet joint hypertrophy as well as ligaentum flavum causing mild central canal stenosis. This small disc protrusion is compressing the exiting nerve root at left L3 on the lateral recess.

L3-4: there is a small central herniated disc causing impingement of the ventral thecal sac. The exiting nerve roots ar patent. There is mild facet joint hypertrophy bilaterally.

L4-5: there is a small central herniated disc with an annular tear causing indentation to the thecal sac and no obvious compression to the exiting nerve roots.
So yeah... not horrible, but definitely not good either. L2 & L3 are the vertebra that I broke when I was 14 so now that's all coming back to literally bite me in the ass. It looks like eventually I will need surgery to cut away the parts of the discs that are protruding & pressing on the nerves but for now, I'm going to try the chiropracter first, along with anti-inflammatories & exercise/stretching. Thanks to my mom, I have a full bottle of Vicodin for the pain. I'm getting around better today & I can actually take a deep breath without screaming out in pain, so that's something. However, when I walk, I can't lift my left leg up very much because of the pain. Also, part of the left leg & toes are numb, all thanks to the discs pushing on the sciatic nerve.

This isn't something that's going to go away any time soon, so it looks like I'm going to have to drop out of Disney Marathon, and any other races for that matter. For now I need to concentrate on getting stronger & as pain free as possible. I'm not going to write off marathons for good, though. My friend Rusty had back surgery & can no longer run. However, that didn't stop him from walking. He can now WALK a marathon in under 5 hours. He is my new inspiration.

I may be down right now, but don't count me out.

3 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Blogger Crosstrain said...

Sorry to hear about your back issues. Your determination is very inspiring to me. Good luck with the chiro.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger equarles said...

Sorry to hear about that. I, too, have been inspired by you. I hope you recover quickly.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

CRAP!!! That sucks. You hang in there. Keep us informed as to your progress. You are very determined and I know you're going to get through this. You rock! Chin up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home