Saturday, July 22, 2006

In the immortal words of Roseanne Roseannadanna...

Today was my first day back running after a 2 week break & it was not easy. As usual, the humidity was awful & the wind refused to make an appearance but I trudged on. I started out walking for the first 30 minutes w/ my friend Carissa, then she kicked in to power walking mode & I kicked in to my usual slow jog & it was only a matter of minutes before Carissa was WAY far ahead of me. It's kinda depressing to me that my run is slower than other people's walk. I had a tough time running at the beginning, only able to sustain it for about 2 or 3 minutes at a time, but after a while, I was back up to about 5 or 6 minutes with 2-3 minute walk breaks in between. It's strange how it will be so hard in the beginning but then seems so easy. I guess my muscles just need a little longer to warm up these days.

As I made my way through the Heights & started back to the park I was feeling pretty good. Then I got to the waterstop at Waugh/Memorial. Almost as soon as I stopped I felt a SUPER sharp pain behind my knee-cap which then shot down the outer side of my calf to my ankle. It was a white hot constant pain & freaked me out. I have NO idea what I did. I hadn't been feeling any pain in my knee at all until just that second. I tried to stretch out my leg/knee but it hurt too much. I ended up hitching a ride back to the park w/ my coach Ginny. The pain subsided in the car, but my knee still didn't feel "right". When I bent it, it felt super stiff & swollen deep inside, like there was a pocket of fluid in there.

When I got home I took a long ice bath, then when I got out I put an ice pack on it for about 20 minutes. The knee is very stiff & pops when I straighten my leg. I'm thinking that's not a good sign. I plan to keep off it & ice it all weekend & hope that it will be better by next week. I really hope I didn't do any serious damage to it.

It just goes to show you, it's always something.

1 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Man, hopefully it's just a little pang and not something serious. Take care!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home