Tuesday, July 11, 2006

It's not the heat, it's the humidity.

Oy! The humidity!!!

Mother Nature continues to be a bitch by insisting on making it rain practically every single day. Saturday was no different. I woke up at 5:00 am to find that it had apparently been pouring right up until the time I woke up. When I stepped outside the air was as thick as pea soup. Oy. I REALLY didn't want to run in that humidity but I sucked it up & made my way to the park. The mileage for the day was supposed to be 10 miles, but since my last long run was 6 miles, I decided to do only 8. I went out of the park short, down Memorial to Waugh, to Allen Parkway to Sabine & back.

Like last week's long run, I walked the first 30 minutes, but unlike last week I walked it pretty close to my regular pace. After 30 minutes I started to run. I started out pretty good... running about 5 minutes & walking 1 or 2. I wasn't paying too much attention to my watch. I just wanted to see what my body could do & I stopped when my body felt like it needed to stop & started up again when it felt like I could run again. After a while, the humidity was really taking its toll & my running time dropped to 3 & 4 minute incriments, but I still kept it up as long as I could.

When I finally made it almost back to the park, I decided to see if I could run the rest of the way in without stopping, & I'll be damned if I didn't do it! I ran for a full 8-1/2 minutes. I know that may not sound like much of a victory to anyone else, but for me it's huge. I'm really surprised at how much I'm able to run now, especially since I most definitely don't have your typical runner's body. I notice that my legs are definitely more muscular. I still have a loooong way to go to get my body even close to what I want it to be, but things like this encourage me.

There will be no long run for me this Saturday because I am going out of town with some friends for a belated birthday celebration for my friend, Lori. We're going tubing down the Guadelupe, then we're off to Austin for the rest of the weekend. I may bring my running shoes with me just in case though, because 2 of my friends that I'll be with are both training for their 2nd marathon so who knows, they may feel the urge to run a few miles (that is if they aren't too hung over). Truth be told, I really wouldn't mind running at Town Lake. We'll see.

Oh yeah! I got an email today from the Houston Running Bloggers. Turns out I came in 2nd in their HRB Runner of the Month voting. Pretty cool, eh? What sucks is that I didn't get the email about the voting until the last minute & I never had time to vote. Who knows, maybe if I'd voted for myself I would've won. But truth be told, I would've felt weird nominating myself so it probably wouldn't have made a difference. But it still feels nice to know I got nominated. :)

6 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, Blogger teacherwoman said...

It's a great feeling when you can run for a longer period of time! I know I love it. Sometimes I feel that I do not get enough time to consentrate on doing that!

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You're really kicking it up a notch with your running. Isn't it awesome to feel your body and your fitness improve from week to week. Keep up the good work.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger equarles said...

I voted for you cause I'm impressed with how you bounced back so quick from SD. very impressive.

 
At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Erin!!! I know what you are feeling! I went for a 9 mile run on Saturday on a 3 mile loop and the third loop I told myself that I was going to run for as long as I could (I had a goal of getting to the half way mark). I started to run and when I got to the half way mark I told myself that I wanted to keep going, so I did with the goal of getting 3/4ths of the way, then when I got to 3/4ths I said to myself that I didnt come this far to stop now so I went the full 3 miles without a run break, on my third loop! When I was done I called everyone I knew, I felt like I could conquer the universe! And, that was without a training group, me, myself and I! Yay! Go Erin!
Ilana

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger elf said...

Congratulations! Good to see that things are going well, particularly in this heat/humidity. It has been icky lately...

Take your running shoes to Austin. Town Lake is one of my favorite places to run anywhere.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Tiggs said...

sorry girl, my fault :)
congrats on 2nd place!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home