Wednesday, July 05, 2006

4th of July Re-cap

Fireworks at Hermann Park (taken by yours truly)

Yesterday I, along with several of my TNT buddies, did the Run Wild 5K race in Uptown. After my run this past Saturday I was feeling pretty confident about this little race & was hoping I'd be able to PR. Alas, it was not meant to be.

The day started out EXTREMELY humid & there wasn't a single breeze to be found. It was cloudy so it wasn't too hot, but the humidity was so high that it just sucked the life right out of me. It also didn't help that I wasn't properly hydrated. From the very start I had problems with cramping on the side of my right calf. After a while I think I just blocked the pain out of my mind. It was quite disheartening when I wasn't even a full mile into the race & I saw runners coming back about to finish the race. Stupid fast people! But again, what matters is that I was out there & that I finished the race. My final time was 48:45.

Eh.

One thing I was happy about was the fact that I was able to maintain a run/walk ratio of 5:1! I'm really amazed at how my legs can hold out that long. I guess I'm in better shape than I thought (at least in my legs). I think the mileage for this Saturday is 10 miles. I'm going to see how far I can keep that ratio up during that run.

After race several of us "tailgated" in the Uptown parking lot, drinking Bloody Mary's (I, however, didn't have any) then we all went to the Spanish Flower for a late breakfast (I'll admit that I had 1 margarita). As soon as I left the restaurant to go home it started to pour down rain. The rain continued off & on thru the rest of the day so I lazed around on my couch, napped & watched movies on cable. At 9 pm I walked over to Hermann Park to watch the Houston Symphony play & see the fireworks. In all, it wasn't a bad day. :)

Hope y'all had a happy 4th!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home