Thursday, April 06, 2006

Time flies


I'm 35 years old now. Wow. How did that happen? I certainly don't feel 35. Not that I really know what 35 is supposed to feel like. I just feel like I should still be in my 20's... at least in my mind. However, my body is definitely 35. It seems like every new day brings a new ache or pain. Woo-hoo for aging!!!

So here's how my birthday week went:

Seeing as I could not eat solid foods & was in a Vicodin induced haze for about 2 days, I did no exercise whatsoever Wed/Thu/Fri. Friday night Adrienne & I went to the Astros exhibition game w/ 2 of her friends. Our seats were fabulous (5 rows behind the Astros dugout) & a good time was had by all. We even got to see a guy 2 rows in front of us propose to his girlfriend on the giant screen (we got a bit misty over that). We fully intended on going home immediately after the game so we could be up & at the park by 5:45 to run 14 miles. However, it didn't exactly work out that way. We ran into a friend of Adrienne's at the ball park & decided to join him & his 2 buddies for a drink at the Bus. "We'll only stay 20 minutes."

Uh-huh.

20 minutes turned into 2 hours, & after those 2 hours, the Bus turned into Taco Milagro, but it was closing so we ended up at the cigar bar next door. A little after midnight one of the guys stood up & announced to the bar that it was now officially my birthday & they all began to sing "Happy Birthday" to me. Next thing I know, a waitress is putting a lovely slice of the yummiest cheesecake EVER in front of me. It was a great surprise.

I didn't get home until after 1:30 & couldn't get to sleep until after 2:00. BUT I STILL SET MY ALARM FOR PRACTICE!!! (cuz I'm just that dedicated)

My alarm went off at 5:30. I turned it off. I went back to sleep. (are you shocked???)

I woke up on my own around 7:45/8:00 & felt really guilty about skipping out on practice so I got myself dressed & did about 8 miles around my neighborhood & Rice. It was a HARD 8 miles, but I still felt good for doing it. And despite my lack of decent sleep, I made pretty good time. Not my fastest, but still faster than I anticipated. Go me! I actually intended on doing a 3rd loop around Rice, but I'd forgotten to put Body Glide under my arms & I was chaffing like a mo-fo! YEEEOOOOWWW!! 3 more miles & those babies would've been bloody & I had a party to go to that night & I'll be damned if I was gonna have bloody arms to go along w/ my hot outfit! ;) Anyhoo... I came home to find several voice mails & text messages from friends... some accusing me of being too hung over to come to practice (I will have you know that I only had TWO drinks the night before) but the most were just people wishing me a happy birthday.

Saturday night I went to my birthday party that was thrown for me by my good friend, Van. It was simple & sweet... good friends, good food, good drink (good GOD there was a lot of that!), & good times. Just what I wanted. My running buddy Carissa made me the coolest. cake. EVER! It was a perfect re-creation of the San Diego Marathon finishers medal! (Click here for pictures!) I was blown away & SO touched. I really have a great group of friends. Oh & I must say, I was quite impressed with the fact that of all my friends that came to my party, it was the RUNNERS that stayed til the bitter end, while the rest petered out early in the game. Awesome. :)

The majority of Sunday was spent sleeping off the night before, then around 3 I went to my mom's house to bake a bunch of goodies for the bake sale I had on Tuesday. My mom was awesome & baked a ton of stuff before I even got there & then I baked a bunch of cookies. After work Monday I baked a few more goodies, printed out a ton of flyers for our Crawfish Boil on May 13, printed out a ton of flyers about why I'm with TNT with a link to my website, printed out a ton of raffle tickets, & made a poster for the bake sale. I didn't get to bed until 2 am.

Tuesday was the bake sale at the UT Medical School. I only had help for about 20 minutes, then I manned the tables alone for the rest of the day. In 4 hours I sold $335 worth of baked goods. Not a bad haul. I was bummed that I only sold 4 raffle tickets. I sold dozens last year. Oh well. I packed a bunch of the leftover baked goods into the trunk of my car & went to practice. After an hour of stretching, walking lunges, butt kicks, galloping & ladders (30 secs run/1 min walk/1 min run/1 min. walk/1:30 run/1:00 walk/2:00 run/1:00 walk & back again) I announced to the group that I had a trunk full of baked goods for sale. I made $40. Awesome.

Then, as I was standing next to my car talking w/ some of the girls, stretching a bit, I suddenly felt a shooting pain in my ankle. I couldn't flex it at all. I went home & iced it for about 20 minutes but it didn't make any difference. The ankle never swelled, but ever since then, my ankle "pops" with every step, & about every 10-20 steps, a super sharp pain comes with the "pop". It was feeling better today. In fact, there was hardly any pain at all, but once I got home from work & tried to power walk, the pain came right back & now there's a little swelling. There's also a purple "dot" immediately to the left of the ankle bone. I don't know if I popped a vessel or what but if it's not better by Monday, I'll be off to the doctor.

Just what I need... another doctor bill.

Tomorrow morning I go in to have my last 3 wisdom teeth pulled. What fun!!!

So far being 35 hasn't exactly been a day at the beach. Here's hoping the rest of the year gets better.

1 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger Jill said...

We stayed because we are "Drinkers with running problem!!"

Great job on the bake sale! Yummy stuff!! I had a major sugar high going on Tuesday.

Hope the ankle gets better - SOON.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home