Sunday, May 28, 2006

2 steps forward, 3 steps back

I was all excited yesterday because my back was feeling TONS beeter. I could move without pain & I could even bend over! All I had was a little stiffness & only a teeeny bit of soreness when I'd get up from sitting. I figured by next week I'd be good to go for the marathon. I went to practice in the morning but only helped out at the water station (no running!) then went home to get ready to fly to South Padre for the long weekend w/ some friends. Everything was fine until I got to my friend's house. I felt a small twinge in my back again, only this time it was on the right side. It wasn't too bad at first, then I picked up my small duffle bag & started to carry it to the car. I quickly dropped the bag because the pain in my back was excruciating. I hoped it would calm down, but after the drive to the airport, waiting for our delayed flight, then the hour long plane ride, the pain just got worse & worse.

We got to our hotel & decided to go to the beach, figuring maybe just relaxin in the water would make me feel better, but unfortunately to get to the water, we had to walk through a huge section of SUPER soft sand. Every step hurt more & more. When we finally got to the water, it felt better in the cool ocean, but the walk back to the hotel thru that soft sand again, just made it so much worse. We went out to eat & I took some muscle relaxers & a double dose of anti-inflamatories. By the time we got back to our room, around 9:30, I was ready to pass out. Unfortunately, the bed was very hard & VERY uncomfortable. I kept waking up in more pain & just wanted to cry. When my friends woke up I told them how bad it was & started crying. Adrienne changed my flight & drove me to the airport so I could go home & rest. I felt bad for ruining part of her weekend, but she was super nice about it. Her mom even came to pick me up at the airport, drove me to Adrienne's so I could get my car, then followed me home so she could bring in my luggage & save me from lifting anything. How nice was that?

So now I'm home & I'm about to medicate myself heavily & pass out on my couch for the next 2 days. I've already decided that even if I'm still in pain by next weekend, I'll still go to CA & at least cheer everyone on. Although the eternal optimist in me is still hoping I'll be well enough by Sunday to run. We shall see.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home