Monday, May 22, 2006

Quick Update

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I'm just going crazy with everything getting so close. The marathon is less than 2 weeks away & I'm starting to freak out about it. One good thing that I thankfully don't have to worry about any longer is my fundraising. On Friday I turned in the last bits of cash & checks to get me exactly to my fundraising minimum. HOORAY! It was down to the wire, but I made it. *WHEW!* Tomorrow I go in to the office to pick up my airline tickets, hotel info, party tickets, & race day singlet. (I only wish the office wasn't so damn far away.)

Two weekends ago was our big 21 mile practice run at Terry Hershey Park. I had a few problems with the location (no lighting, 16 miles between bathrooms, & not enough water stops) but I made it. The 1st 9 or 10 miles were pretty good, but when that sun came out, with nary a cloud in sight, & those temperatures kept rising, with little shade to keep me cool, I slowed down significantly. I got overheated pretty fast, my legs felt like lead, & the balls of my feet felt like they were on fire. However, despite my very slow 2nd half & stopping at water stops from anywhere from 5-1o minutes, I still managed to finish in a decent time. I've been really worried about the time cut-off in San Diego at mile 19.2 because I have to get there in 5 hrs. 45 mins. But I despite my problems, & my super slow-mo 2nd 1/2, I was able to complete the 21 miles in about 6 hrs. 18 mins, which means that if the weather in San Diego is as "cool" as it says it's gonna be (as of today, race day forcast calls for a high of 75) then I should have no problem making the cut-off. *crosses fingers*

Of course, that can only happen if I am healthy & right now I am not. You see, I knew I never should've jinxed myself when I talked to my mother yesterday. I told her how great I felt after the 21 miler (minus some muscle stiffness Sunday & the HUGE blister on the ball of my right foot) & that barring any injury, I should be good to go for a 7:30/7:45 marathon.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Of course after all my bragging, I ended up throwing my back out this morning in the shower. I'd bent over to wash my feet & I felt a twinge in my sciatic area. As the morning went on, the twinge got worse & worse. I can't bend over at all, it hurts to sit in most positions, & I can only turn my body to the left without it hurting. *sigh*

I also have had a problem with the top of my left foot, right where it's connected to my leg. I'd tied my left shoe way too tight for the 21-miler & wasn't able to fix it right until about 6 miles into the run. By then, the damage had been done. It was red for a day or 2, & now feels like I have a huge bruise under the tendons, but there's no bruising & no swelling. It just hurts if I flex my foot too much & I'll get a super painful cramp. FUN!

Hopefully this all won't last long & I'll be well enough to do the 12 miles on Saturday. I REALLY don't want to miss my last practice.

Why did this have to happen NOW?!?!?!

2 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Go to the doctor and get drugs - muscle relaxer. And ice your foot. You have two weeks. TAKE IT EASY!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Thankfully I already have a big bottle of Vicodin that's left over from my wisdom tooth extraction. YAY drugs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home