Friday, December 23, 2005

Broken

I always worry that something will happen to me during all this training. I've had a few minor injuries here & there, but never anything serious. I still worry that I'll do some serious damage right before a race so I always try to remember to be careful of my form & watch the terrain & of course stretch after my runs.

Too bad I wasn't so careful with my dog.

My poor, sweet Moe has torn his ACL & requires surgery. He did it Saturday. After being gone all day at the big 21-mile practice with the TNT-ers, I got home & immediately took him outside to play. Several of my neighbors were out w/ their dogs & Moe was off-leash playing with all of them. Now, normally, when it's time to go inside, I would put him back on the leash & walk him inside. However, he was having so much fun running around with his buddies & sniffing around the bushes that I decided to just let him run in on his own. Of course, this was when he blew his knee out. He must've popped the knee when he jumped from the street up onto the sidewalk & turned to go into the courtyard (he was running at top speed).

So now we have an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon on Wednesday afternoon. He'll likely have TPLO surgery, but we'll see what this new vet says after looking at Moe's x-rays & examining him himself. Until then, it's lots of TLC.

I'm going to feel a bit guilty leaving him tomorrow morning as I go run 8 (maybe 14) miles w/ TNT (I've been fighting a bad cold so I think I'll just stick w/ the 8 miles), but from there we go to my parents' house for the weekend where I'm sure he will be spoiled rotten by his grandparents.

*sigh*

What a way to start the Christmas season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home