Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Slow poke

Tonight I went to my 1st Tuesday night practice of the season & I'm not sure if I'll do it again. It was a good work-out, but it re-affirmed just how damn slow I am.

We were doing 1/4 mile speed work & of course, I was always the last one to finish. Everyone would get to the 1/4 mile marker & wait & wait & wait for me to get there. Then we'd rest & do another 1/4 mile a bit faster, again with everyone waiting & waiting for me to finish. I started wishing they'd just go on without me because I was getting embarrassed & frustrated with how much slower I was than the others. It also wasn't exactly fair that they got to rest a lot longer than I did between the 1/4 miles.

Pppppffffffftttttt!!!!

The more I do this whole running thing, the more I've realized that I really prefer to do it alone. But at the same time, I need to do it with people. I need to have the group there in the beginning because it helps get me pumped up for the run, but once we get started I really don't like to run with someone by my side. I don't want to chit-chat. I just want to get in my groove, concentrate on my form & breathing & zone out. Then, when I'm about to finish, I like having the group there to cheer me on.

I need to work on getting my speed up because, while I like to be alone during the run, I do NOT like knowing I'm in "last place". Some of my best runs have been when I've known there are at least a few people behind me. I hate, hate, HATE being the last to finish. Hate. It!

GGGRRRRRRRRR!!

I'd gone to practice tonight because I thought it would be good & I knew I needed the extra work-out, but now I'm all pissed because of how shitty I did. If I'd only just gone to the park & run a loop or 2 by myself, I'd be feeling much better right about now. Hopefully I'll do better at the Turkey Trot on Thursday.

1 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger E said...

I know you said you like to do it alone, but let me know if you ever want a slow runner with you - I'm pretty slow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home