Friday, November 11, 2005

Inspriation

I just reread this post about the Alaska marathon & got all weepy again & I'm getting more jazzed about the run this weekend. Who cares if it's going to be hot? If I can survive over 8-1/2 hours in all that crap in Alaska then I have no right to complain about a measly 4 "warm" hours in Texas.

(I still can't believe I survived that. Crazy!)

Last night I helped out my friends & a mentee with their Bachelor/Bachelorette auction & it was a big success. They pulled in about $1300 at the door, the bachelors & bachelorettes each went for several hundred dollars & at least 2 bachelorettes went for $1000-$2000! There were also LOTS of great silent auction items that I know went for at least $2000-$3000. I don't know the final tally for the night yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they raised over $10,000! The girls did such an awesome job setting this whole thing up & everyone seemed to be having a great time. I'm so proud of my girls!

I didn't get to participate much in the event because about 1/2 way through the night, my friend & fellow TNT teammate took over duties at the door so the 2 girls that had been there would be able to check things out at the party. We could still see everything going on & it was fun watching everyone parade around & mingle & try to get their bids up. It was also nice to catch up with Michelle for a bit. She'd recently run the Nike Women's 1/2 Marathon & I got to hear a little about it. She told me that Michelle Dedman had gone on the trip with her (which I had heard from someone else) & they really had a great time. She also told me that Michelle decided to train for at least a 1/2 marathon (again, something I'd heard before from someone else), but what she said next really surprised me. She told me that Michelle mentioned to her several times that she uses me as an inspiration, that when things get tough with training she thinks of me & what I was able to do. I seriously almost starting crying right then & there. I'd only met Michelle Dedman & her husband, Tim once & that was way back in... March? at the honored patient party. (Tim, David & I played pool as the 2 Michelles watched.) I didn't even know she remembered me! It's "funny" to me that someone I admire SO much for her courage & strength in all she had to go through with her husband's illness & eventual death looks to me for inspiration. She is the one that inspires me. It's her story & the story of my brother-in-law & the stories of so many others that keeps me doing what I'm doing.

This weekend will be a good race. I'm going to see to that. :)

I guess I should pack now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home