Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Random acts of kindness...

Maybe it's all the stress I've been under at work/home/training/fundraising, or maybe it's just PMS, but the random act of kindness I received from a total stranger today actually brought a tear to my eye. It started with a random donation, which was so awesome, but wasn't what really got to me. It was the email I received from that person today. I honestly never expected to hear from her. I figured she happened upon my site by accident/random coincidence, made a donation, then went off into the sunset. When I saw her email today, it meant more to me than the donation.

Turns out she did some fundraising a while back for the Breast Cancer Walk & she remembered how incredibly hard it was to raise the money. But she said the thing she remembered most about that experience were the random acts of kindness... from people she never expected, or didn't even know.

She is SO right.

The training has been the easiest part of this whole thing. I know I can walk. I know I can run. But I honestly didn't know if I could raise all that money. About a week ago, I still needed over $2000. Today I only need about $900... & there are still more donations to come. I really think I'm going to make it!

It's really going to happen.

I'm really going to Alaska.

And dammit... I WILL do all 26.2 miles. I have to. I don't care if it takes me 9 hours. I am going to cross that finish line & I will know that I made a difference in this world. And I will do it knowing that I never would have been able to make it if it hadn't been for the support of SO many people... people I love... people I don't like... people I don't even know! People all over Texas... people all over the United States & Canada... even people in Australia!

And I will have the time of my life.

Thank you. Thank you to ALL of you.

You give me joy.

You give me hope.

1 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, Blogger Megan said...

I truly could not be any happier for you than I am right now. This post was beautiful, and I am so extremely excited for you. I've been praying that things would work out, and it really looks like they will now. You ARE going to do all 26.2 miles and it will be one of the most amazing experiences of your life. I wish I could share it with you! I'm so truly proud of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home