Saturday, May 14, 2005

Blood, sweat & tears

I wasn't sure if I could do it, but...

6 hours
7 blisters
& one MASSIVELY scraped up knee later

I DID IT!!!

18 miles.

Let me say that again...

18 miles!!!!


At one point, my coach, thinking I was only doing 10.2 miles asked me how far I was going.

"18"

"Why???"

"Because I want to!"

And that was that.

Never mind that as soon as I got to the park, I fell & ripped my knee to shreds. I wasn't going to let that stop me. We quickly washed it off w/ some alcohol & betadyne wipes & slathered on some vaseline to keep it from scabbing over & I was off. It was my battle scar & I wore it proudly. At every water station, I'd simply wipe off the blood that was dripping down my leg & continue on.

For about the 1st 10-12 miles, I was doing great. I had lots of energy & was jazzed. Around mile 13/14 is when I really started feeling that sun beaming down on me & those blisters starting to form on my feet. But I kept going. I knew I was in the home stretch & with every painful step, I felt more & more of an accomplishment. That last mile was the hardest, but knowing there would be people waiting for me at the end of the finish line, cheering for me, & the fact that my good friend Evan was there by my side, gave me that last push I needed to get it done.

We came running into the park, down a path flanked by TNT banners, streamers, & balloons, the "Rocky" theme song blaring from the stereo, & a group of coaches, mentors, & teammates clapping & cheering us across the finish line.

It was a great feeling.

I am more exhausted than I have ever been, but I am SO damn proud of myself.

GO ME!! :)

4 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOW AWESOME!!!!!

I so wish that I could run 18 miles!!!

Congratulations. Be extremely proud of how far you've come in such a short time ;-D

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Megan said...

I am so incredibly proud of you. Do you even know how much of an inspiration you are to me? Seriously, my heart is full of pride for you, my friend. Wear that scar as a badge of honor that you earned.

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm running the Anchorage marathon, too, though I'm not fundraising. Saw your site when I was surfing and was inspired to make a donation. CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU and hope you have a wonderful race!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Thank you SO much Joi. When I saw the donation, I had no idea who you were or how you came upon my TNT site. THANKS!!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home