Sunday, February 19, 2006

Weekend Recap

Went to the 2nd Saturday practice with TNT this weekend & let me tell you, it would've been SO much easier to just roll over after turning off my alarm & snuggling further underneath my down comforter & going back to sleep. But I didn't do that. I got out of bed & braved the cold & rain & did my 1 hour run with the group (4 miles total for me).

It was FREEEEEEEEEZING out there but that just motivated me to get my ass moving. It took me about a mile before my body warmed up & I felt comfortable & then I felt pretty good the whole rest of the time. Last week I did the warm up exercises with the group before the run & felt shitty the whole run. This time I skipped the warm up & just went running. It's what I'd always done before & sure enough, I felt pretty damn good during the run. My right ITB only bothered me a bit in the beginning & my thighs & butt that had been hurting so much since the Tuesday practice were feeling much better thanks to a good hour of yoga the other night. I ran the whole time with Carissa & we pretty much skipped doing intervals altogether. We just ran when we got too cold to walk any more. We managed to keep a pretty good pace, despite the lack of running.

After the run a bunch of us went to breakfast. My honored patient, Jonathan Nitsch showed up with his mom & it was good fun. He's such a great kid (only 17 years old) & he & his mom are SO f'ing excited for all of us. They said they're going to try to come out every weekend to join us for breakfast & keep us motivated. My mentee (& coach) Anne & I are planning to have a car wash as a fund raiser (once the weather warms up) & we asked Jonathan if he & his friends would like to help out. He said he'd love to & said he'll bring his friends from school as well as all his cancer patient buddies. We're not sure yet where we'll have it, but I have a feeling it will be a big success. If it is, then I'm thinking that maybe we can do another one the next month.

After breakfast, my ITB was feeling sore, so when I got home I broke in my new roller that Adrienne had given me. HOLY SHMOLEY that hurt like a sonofabitch when I used it. But it definitely felt much better afterwards. I think I'll get a stick later this week to help with my other muscles.

Sunday was the Mentor party. We invited all ouf out mentees over to Carissa's house for food, drink, & brainstorming. It was a big success. We helped everyone with ideas & tips for fundraising, helped them set up their fundraising websites, gave them all sorts of training tips, & told them stories of our past events with TNT. It was a good time & I think it really helped put them at ease & got them motivated to really get going strong. I must say, we really do have an AWESOME group of mentors (if I do say so myself). We work very well together.

Today was a holiday & I didn't have to go to work. WOO-HOO!!! I had planned on going to the gym to do some weights but within 15 minutes of me being up, I pulled a muscle in the back of my upper right thigh. I'd just come back inside from taking the dog for a short walk & I was bending over to scoop his dog food into his bowl & suddenly... BAM!!! I immediately felt a sharp tightness starting at the back of the upper right thigh, but I before I could straighted up & stop it, it was too late. It hurt to walk & it bothered me all day today so I skipped the gym completely. I did, however, do about 45 minutes of yoga tonight & that seems to have helped with the problem. Immediately after yoga, I iced it down & took some Ibuprofin. Hopefully it won't be as painful in the morning. I still plan to go to track practice tomorrow, but I'll be cautious. I don't want to mess myself up even more.

I need to make an appointment to get a massage this week. I've needed one since after the marathon & just never got around to doing it. No excuses this week. It needs to be done! I have GOT to get in better shape. I've got the Rodeo Run this weekend, then the Bayou City Classic coming up 2 weeks later. I've also decided to do the Country Music Half Marathon in Nashville on April 29 so I can't dilly-dally (I'll be going with my friend & fellow HRB-er, Erica who's doing the full).

Damn. Look at the time. It is WAY past my bedtime & I have to get up early for work in the morning.

Happy running! :)

2 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Tiggs said...

if the roller hurts, it means you need to use it. use it til it doesn't hurt anymore- every day!!

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew it was gonna hurt to use it, but YEEEOW! I had no idea it was gonna hurt THAT much! But I shall grin & bear it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home