Thursday, January 26, 2006

Official

Well, it's official... I am now registered to do the San Diego Rock & Roll Marathon through Team in Training. This means that I am also committed to raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The fundraising minimum for San Diego is $4400. As soon as I get my fundraising website set up, I'll post a link here.

Here's hoping my IT band & shoulder (& anything else for that matter) don't give me too much trouble during the season. I really need to buckle down & train hard if I'm going to be able to make the time cutoffs for this race. I know there's a 1/2 marathon being offered to TNT participants, but I don't want to do another 1/2. If I'm going to spend all that time training & fundraising, then dammit, I want to do a FULL marathon!

In addition to training for this marathon with TNT, I have also decided to be a mentor again. I think things went pretty well this past season, despite having only 4 mentees actually run in the Houston Marathon (I lost 3 mentees to injury or family illness). It's a big commitment, but I'm willing to make it because I believe in the program & want to see it continue to succeed.

Kick-off is Feb. 4 with the 1st practice starting Feb. 11. I wish I had the info to set up my website now, cuz I'm going to need all the time I can get to raise this money.

So... anyone got any good fundraising ideas?

7 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Blogger David said...

Wow, San Diego just 4 months off. Go get em! Hmmm...Rock N Roll fundraising ideas...dont' know what the Team in Training recommends, but maybe do something related to the Rock N Roll theme, like selling pet rocks specially numbered 1 thru 26.2 and paint them to look like rock stars. If crafts are not your thing, then forget the idea or find a friend to help paint.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

this is one i might want to do someday...although the tuscon one sounds fun too (altough i already have figured out i don't like desert running!)

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Tiggs said...

Erin, you will have a BLAST!! SD is super fun. Get those legs stretched well though b/c the hills will do a number on the ITBs!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Okolo said...

Congrats!

The biggest bang for the buck seems to be parties. I've heard of lots of people who make their fundraising minimums in a single night.

Find a location, have them cater a little food, charge entrance fee, then have a raffle (get things donated) and sell tickets inside.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Best of luck in your training. You'll find plenty of purple shirts on the course. See you at the finish line at the MCRD!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Jill said...

That pic of you on your donation page is just too funny!!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger David said...

Erin-

If you do the fundraising night and need an "auctioneer" I'll donate my services, as live bid caller. I am a registered professional auctioneer, and have conducted fundraising auctions the past 15 years from low profile grade school events to higher profile charity galas.

-Let me know if I can help
(it's a better idea than the 'pet rock' :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home