Saturday, July 23, 2005

Excited!

I am SO excited! I was chosen to be a Team in Training mentor! I went to a mentor's informational meeting Wednesday night to learn all about the program & the more I learned, the more excited I got.

After the marathon, I went through a depression. I'd worked so hard for so long & then, before I knew it, it was all over. Sure, I could always get back to running, but without having a TNT event to do, I am uninspired. I know I may very likely do the San Antonio 1/2 marathon in November, but again, it's not a TNT event, therefore, I'm not raising any money & nobody is really counting on me. That's why I applied to be a mentor.

Now I'll be involved in something again where people will be depending on me. Plus, I am required to attend at least 50% of the weekly practices, so my "happy ass" will be out there running again on a regular basis! I don't want my mentees to go through what I went through with my mentor, so I plan to attend much more than 50% of the practices. I want my mentees to actually see me out there so they know that if I can do it, they sure as shit can do it! And I want to be able to offer them any kind of support they need. Two of my friends from my team last season are also going to be mentors & we're already planning on events that we can do together for our mentees.

The 1st thing we're going to try for is weekly breakfasts after the Saturday morning practices. Our coaches last season did this & it was always so much fun, not to mention a great way to get to know each other & strategize about fundraising. It really helped bring us together & make us a more close-knit team. (Btw... I'm also excited that my 2 favorite coaches will be back again. I haven't seen 1 of them, Emily, since the week before the marathon. She was my walking coach & she was absolutely the BEST!)

My 1st duty as a mentor is to help out with the recruitment meetings. The 1st one for me is next Saturday morning, with another one the following Wednesday evening. Then there's the big kick-off party on August 13. All the mentors, staff & coaches will be required to dress up in some sort of attire that goes along with one of the marathons for the season. So it's either "Go Texan" for the Houston marathon, something Chinese-like for the P.F. Chang's marathon in AZ, or "Honolulu Luau" for the Honolulu marathon. Should be pretty entertaining.

I can't wait to get started!!! :)

2 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

Congrats!!! You'll be a perfect mentor! I wish you were my mentor! I wish I had a mentor:(
!!!

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Jay said...

Congratulations!!! Being a mentor is very rewarding and you get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing some of your mentees go from being non-runners to marathon finishers. You'll do a great job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home