Saturday, September 15, 2007

Slowly getting back into it

As usual, I got my post-vacation cold & have spent the last week pretty much constantly blowing my nose. It's made for some "fun" workouts. I skipped a few because I felt way too crappy & was having too much trouble breathing just standing still, let alone running. On the days I did work out, I felt as if I hadn't worked out in months. I was SO sluggish & my whole body ached afterwards.

Ugh.

Needless to say I was REALLY dreading today's 18 mile long run. My left calf had been bothering me all week (hill training Wednesday... which sucked... didn't help matters) so I figured it was going to be a problem today. I was wrong. It was my right calf that was bothering me.

WTF???

Despite the calf problem, I actually did pretty well. I was able to keep up my pace for 16 miles before I started to peter out. I really seem to have a big problem with the sun. Once it was out there & the clouds had gone away, I felt my energy drain away. Add in the calf pain & I pretty much just walked the last 2 miles back to the park. Thankfully it really wasn't too hot today or I'm sure I would've petered out much earlier. I guess I have Hurricane Humberto to thank for the cooler/less humid weather. Thanks Humberto!

The fact that I was able to keep my pace for 16 miles was really encouraging to me. I still have a month before the marathon so I feel I'll be able to improve even more. Hopefully I'll be able to keep a steady pace for the majority of the race. I really REALLY want to be able to finish within 7.5 hours. If I can do that, I will be ecstatic!!

Of course, my stupid calves have to heal first or else I fear the marathon will be a total disaster. But I have faith. Don't ask me why. I just have a good feeling about this race.

Oh! At breakfast after practice today, we were talking about our next big adventure... the Texas Independence Relay! Right now I've only volunteered to be the driver, but who knows, if I keep up with my training & lose even more weight, maybe I'll be fast enough to actually run.

2 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Tiggs said...

Erin- Congrats on the weight loss. That is awesome!!!!

When are you doing your 21 miler? I might want to see if I can join the TNTers for that one...don't want to run it alone!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Hey Cassie! We're doing the 21 miler at Terry Hershey Park on Sept. 29. Come join us if you'd like. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home