Saturday, August 25, 2007

The good, the bad, & the ugly

Big ups & downs in training this week. Actually, it started last week w/ the long run, which started out great, but ended really crappy. This heat is really getting to me during these long runs. Last week I didn't start until almost 5:30 am & that really cost me. We only did 10.5 miles, which was through River Oaks which meant lots of shade, but those last 2 miles were in the blazing sun & it was SO f'ing hot I had no energy left to go very fast at all. I pretty much strolled back to the park.

Oddly enough, Tuesday's practice with temps equally as hot went really well. This was the week to do 1/2 mile sprints at the track & again, I'm pretty steady w/ times. The only "problem" was that it was VERY windy, but only on 1/2 the track. Of course, that 1/2 was a headwind. However, that wind was also a Godsend because it felt FABULOUS. We did 6 ea. 1/2 mile sprints. Here's how I did:

1 - 7:14:27
2 - 6:59:36
3 - 6:57:65
4 - 7:07:23
5 - 7:01:79
6 - 7:01:82

Total time: 42:22:12
Avg. pace per mile: 14:07

I have no doubt if I didn't have that headwind that at least 5, if not all 6 sprints would have been under 7 mins.

As for my pool workouts, they're getting better & better each day. I've really picked up my speed walking in the pool & I'm getting definite muscles in my upper arms from working w/ the noodles. It's great!

Then there was today's long run. In a word... it SUCKED. The route was to the GRB downtown & back, w/ a pitstop from Waugh to I-10, then 2 miles worth of hills & parking garage runs, with a total mileage of 17 miles. This time I was sure to start right around 5:00 am & those first 10 or so miles were great. I felt strong, I was keeping up a great pace, & I didn't feel too hot.

Then the sun came out in full force.

By the time I was about 12 miles into the run, I was feeling extremely dizzy & nauseous. I couldn't walk a straight line & my mind was very fuzzy. I stopped for a good 15-20 minutes at the water stop to rest & cool off. It was there I decided to skip the I-10 portion of the route. I knew if I did those 2 miles, which were in direct sunlight, I would probably pass out, so instead my coach, Valarie, my teammate, Jonathan & I starting sloooowwwwwly walking back to the park. I was feeling better, so I decided to do the parking garage on the way in.

BIG mistake. The dizziness & nausea came right back. I had to sit down on the curb & was doubled over from the nausea. Thankfully the water was SUPER ice cold so I kept pouring it all over my body. After about 5-10 minutes, I felt better so I walked back to the park. I felt like shit. I still feel like shit.

I hate summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home