Sunday, October 23, 2005

Uneventful

Yesterday was another Saturday of me playing "water girl" to the TNT gang & I didn't mind because I knew that, with the way my sinuses had been, I wouldn't be able to run 14 miles that day. However, I was actually a little bummed about that because the weather was absolutely PERFECT for running. A cold front had come through overnight & it was cool & crisp & wonderful out there. Just my kind of day. But instead of running, I sat next to my car on the side of the road, about 4 or 5 miles out on the course, waiting for my teammates to stop by for a drink & a Gu.

Woo.

Fun.

After practice I headed to Oshman's & signed up for the Great Pumpkin Fun Run 5K which is on the 29th. Should be a good time.

Thanks to some super fabulous & extra strong antibiotics, I am feeling 100 times better this weekend than I was on Friday. But as much as I'd love to think, I'm not 100%. Today proved that.

I was feeling so much better today that I figured it wouldn't hurt to get out there & run for a bit... maybe only 7 or 8 miles. Shouldn't be too hard, right?

Yeah. Not so much.

I was only able to do about 3 miles. Not too far into it, every time I'd run, I'd get light headed & dizzy. It was very frustrating because otherwise, I was feeling pretty good out there. Apparently my sinuses aren't as clear as I'd hoped they were. So I'm going to finish out my course of antibiotics before I try any long distances again. Hopefully I should be good to go by this weekend. My plan is to run to the starting line, maybe from Starbuck's then run back after the race. That should be just a tad over 9 miles, which is really all I need to be doing, especially since by then, the 1/2 marathon will only be 2 weeks away.

In a totally unrelated note... I'm sitting here watching Grey's Anatomy as I blog & I actually got a bit excited over the fact that I noticed that one of the bit character's on tonight's episode (the father of a patient) played a somewhat key, if not very tiny role in my ultimate favorite TV show, "Lost". (Btw... I am SO pissed I have to wait a whole 3 weeks before the next new episode of "Lost")

Yeah. I know. I'm such a dork.

LOL!

10 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger Tiggs said...

what half are you doing?

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I'm doing the San Antonio 1/2. Two of my friends are doing the full (their 1st marathon ever!) & I thought it would be fun to go support them & get another race under my belt at the same time. :)

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger E said...

Hey water-station buddy! I had a bit of excitement - one of the girls hurt herself and I had to drive herself back to the park. Better to have boredom sometimes....

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger egan said...

Have you ever tried a Gu sandwich? Mmmm, yummy.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Ew, that sounds nas-tay! Personally, I can't do the Gu. It makes my stomach feel all icky & since I'm out there a lot longer than the full on runners, I'm much better off with a power bar cuz they stay with me longer & give me more energy.

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger egan said...

Yes, I agree with you on the Gu. I honestly think Gu is some of the nastiest stuff out there. I prefer Clif bars personally and have trouble those gel packets, sometimes cutting the corners of my mouth while yanking the suckers out of my mouth. Enough about me though. Sorry about the Astros.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Hey Egan - I saw your question to me on Megan's blog, but decided to answer it here:

I am not really a true runner, but I aspire to be one. I am far from being in shape. It all started out as walking & has slowly progessed to a walk/run thing. I started early in the year with Team in Training & did my 1st marathon in June (in Alaska of all places). It all started as a way to honor my brother-in-law who died of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It was such a great experience for me that I decided to keep it up, both for the physical benefits, but for the emotional benefits as well. Knowing that I'm helping people with cancer & their families (especially when there was nothing I could do for my BIL) is a great motivator.

Thanks for the condolances about the (L)astros, but honestly I'm not surprised. I just hope they can at least win the next 2 games because I REALLY don't want the Sox to win in our "house".

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger egan said...

Team in Training. My buddy signed up to do a half Ironman last year in Santa Cruz, CA with TNT. His motivation got me interested in triathlons because I had gotten really lazy.

Needless to say I did 2 in the summer of 2004 and 4 triathlons this past summer. I am a born swimmer and run rather well. The cycling is the part I have to work on the most. Team in Training provides a great support network and structure for athletes of all types. I am not part of TNT, but I do practice rides with them once in awhile.

Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. That had to be rough. Where did you compete in Alaska? Was it in Anchorage?

I'm routing against your Astros, but I do like a competitive World Series so it would be nice to see them win at least a couple games. I'm just happy the Yankees aren't there. Have a good Tuesday.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Erin said...

My sister has been doing tri's with TNT for the past year & 1/2. She started out doing the Century rides back in 2001 (the year her husband died). 2 of my brothers also do the century rides. 1 is now a coach with TNT.

I figure eventually I'll start doing tri's as well, but I need to get in much better shape before I even attempt that. I was a competative swimmer growing up so that doesn't worry me. The cycling part however...

I did the Mayor's Midnight Sun full marathon in Anchorage in June. It was miserable & wonderful all at the same time. Check out the June archives if you're interested in reading about it. :)

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger egan said...

Erin, I will check out the archives to find out more. My TNT buddy is doing a century ride in Arizona next month. Should be a good challenge for him.

Yes, I love to swim. I am like a fish in the water. I swam competively from age 7 to 18. I am happy to take it up again as part of the Ironman training. In fact I am just about to leave for my lunch dip in the pool. Have a good day Erin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home