Sunday, February 06, 2005

Getting started

Today I went & bought my 1st pair of running shoes. I went to a local running shop that was recommended by my coach called RunSport (TNT members get a 10% discount there). They guys there were super nice & very helpful. They analyzed my stance & stride to find exactly how my feet react to my body weight. Apparently I have a pretty good stride... only a teeny bit of inward roll on the ankles, which can be fixed with the right support. They hooked me up w/ a nice pair of Asics running shoes. Since I have such a wide foot, the women's shoes didn't fit right & I had to go to a man's shoe.

Turns out the owner of the shop ran the Mayor's Midnight Run last year. He's run in races all over the country, including Hawaii, but he says the Alaska run was absolutely the most breathtaking. Hearing that made me even more excited about this race. I'm even more determined to accomplish this goal.

I've also decided to train as if I was doing the full marathon. My coaches encouraged me to sign up for the full marathon because as they said "you never know"... I may surprise myself & get strong enough to do a full 26.2 miles. They said it's easier to sign up for the full marathon & move down to the 1/2, then it is to sign up for the 1/2 then move up to the full (paperwork-wise), so I'm gonna go for it. If, by race time, I don't feel I can make the full 26.2, I'll just change to the 1/2. Either way, I'm gonna do this! I CAN DO THIS!!!

1 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Blogger Chad Brooks said...

Ascis tend to have narrow toe boxes. Check New Balence for wider widths. You will probably want to alternate two pairs and two diffferent brands. Keep track of milage so you know when to go to new. I too hate that first muddy day but it must be done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home