Saturday, February 05, 2005

Kick-off

Today was the official Team in Training kick-off. Everyone got together to meet their coaches, mentors, & honored patients, & we got our training schedule for the next 4-1/2 months. It's a packed schedule with workouts 4 days a week (2 of them with the group, 2 alone. Days of rest are Sun., Wed., & Fri. First official workout is Monday) & several team meetings & gatherings throughout each month. At first glance, I felt a bit intimidated, wondering if I'd really be able to do this, but after meeting the coaches & my mentor, I felt a lot more comfortable. They all seem so supportive & willing to give almost anything to help us all out.

During this kick-off meeting, some cancer survivors got up & spoke to the crowd, giving us even more inspiration to get out there & do our best. Several times I got a lump in my throat & a tear in my eye. But more than anything, I felt warmth in my heart... especially when I met my honored patient (a cancer patient for whom I will be running/walking in honor of, in addition to my BIL, & who also will receive a portion of the money I raise for his care). His name is John Purtee, he is 9 years old & was diagnosed with Lymphoma at the age of 5. He recently had a bone marrow transplant & is in remission & he is the sweetest kid you ever could meet. I'd heard about how at the Houston marathon a few weeks ago, he was at various mile markers & whenever he saw someone in a purple TNT jersey, he would run beside them for a good long ways & cheer them on. When I introduced myself, he thanked me for joining in the effort & gave the biggest smile. When I told him how I lost my BIL to Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, he said "that's why I'm here... that's why we're all here. I'm here for all of those who are no longer with us. And I'm here because of all of you."

That killed me. He's nine years old. NINE!

This is the best decision I have ever made. I do NOT want to let him down.

So now I am even more obsessed about fundraising. I am constantly checking my email to see if I have any messages with the words "donation confirmation" in the subject line. When I check it & I have no new messages, or if the new messages end up being SPAM or just regular email, my heart sinks & I worry that I will never be able to reach my goal. $5200 is a LOT of money & not being able to raise it all is my biggest fear.

So every time I do get one of those "donation confirmation" messages, I get a huge smile on my face & my heart swells. I have been so touched by what people have been giving (or what they tell me they will give)... whether it's $10, $25, $100... it all moves me. I am especially moved by those who have donated, even though I know they are struggling with money. Yet they still give what they can. It's truly amazing the hearts these people... these friends of mine... have. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home